Saturday, June 25, 2011

Memories

Memories have a funny way of popping up on you at odd times. Sometimes I think of random things and I start laughing...usually at inappropriate times to laugh. This week at work I was preparing some meds for a little old lady I was taking care of. She was 90. I thought about my grandma who was 87 when she died. She never made it to 90. Then I remembered preparing my grandma's meds 2 nights before she died and helping her take them. I still remember vividly giving her her meds while she was dying, remembering how she looked, remembering how it felt to crawl up in bed beside her and just hold onto her a little bit longer. I always think of my grandparents when I take care of old people. Now I can't help but think of them and get tears in my eyes. At night they seem to be more lonely than during the day shift. It makes me want to take time and be patient with them, love on them a little bit more, talk to them and get to know them a little bit. There are so many interesting stories if you take the time to listen.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh Allison! As difficult as it was, and as difficult as the memories may flood your mind... I know that your personal experience is shaping you into a wonderful nurse! I know that my experience being a patient (having Emily) has made me a better nurse. (I had nurses I liked and one that I couldn't stand!) Life has a funny way of teaching us things when we least expect it.

Grammy said...

Allison, thank you so much for taking the time with your oldest patients. You have a wonderful mission field and I know they feel God's love through YOU. Joan