Saturday, August 23, 2008

Aunt G!

My great Aunt Georgia has been suffering from several health problems the past few years. They have come one after the other, as soon as she beats one, something else comes up. This past week we found out her cancer is terminal and they are starting hospice care. I am incredibly sad. She and my great uncle are like grandparents to me. My aunt is my grandma's only sister and they are so close. Every family function has included my aunt and uncle. They are second grandparents!

Aunt Georgia is a one of a kind lady!! She has the dryest sense of humor, always quick with a laugh, very outgoing, kind hearted, strong, but most of all she loves Jesus!! I love the way she calls me "Honey" and she is one of 3 people who calls me Alli. After getting to my grandparents, we kids always looked forward to going over to Aunt Georgia and Uncle Dick's house. We would always go over for a good dinner, and there was a fire every Christmas. Makes for a nice evening nap by the fire!! Every Christmas I get a $5 bill in a holiday bank envelope. And every birthday until I turned 18, I got a $5 check. When I turned 18, I got a $10 because then you were considered the grown up age!

I think I could go on and on about this dear lady! It has just really hurt me to see her health decline over the past few years. I am sad that my brother and the new cousins (through marriage) will not really know the fun and goofy aunt full of energy and life. I am afraid my little brother will not remember her very much at all. I love her so much, she and my uncle have always been so supportive and generous to me and my sisters.

I am flying up to see the family and stay with my sister this Friday through the following Thursday. We are also planning a trip to go see my other grandparents, as I was unable to go see them with the family 2 months ago. It will be sad, but going is so important than staying here at the moment.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Allison, What a beautiful tribute!! You should read it to her. I will pray for her and your family right now.

Kelly

Natalie said...

I wish I could go with you. This all just sucks.
I like what you wrote- all the fun things we will always love about her. How about how everything is always "loverly" to her. And you can always count on getting a big kiss on the cheek when you see her.
This just doesn't seem real.

Natalie said...

Yesterday during my clinical orientation all I could think about was our favorite things from Scrubs! And it made me think of you, and I wanted to laugh. :)