Thursday, June 17, 2010

Birthday Thunder Stealer

Happy Birthday, to my little sister, Natalie! She is 23 today. We are 2 years and 5 days apart. I remember growing up, I would always have to add that 5 days in there. Why? I don't know, maybe to prove I really was older than her even though I looked younger.
Nat wrote such a moving post about me on her blog, I thought to return the favor fav. There were years when we were little that me and my older sis would gang up on Nat and pick on her. I mean, hey, what are big sisters for? But as we grew up and circumstances changed, we became buds. In high school, not so much, until near the end of high school when we fell into the same likes and dislikes. In college I moved back home for a year and that was the time when we really became close and ridiculous in our communication. My Mom has told us she likes to sit back and watch us talk together because we know what the other is meaning to say and we never say it in full. On the outside looking in, it more on the cryptic side.

I apologize, Nat, for calling you Nat the Fat. Because you never were or are. You are my best friend, and I'm glad for it. I'm glad you are a nurse like me. We understand each other on that level when we can't talk to anyone else about it. I love that you are such an LOTR nerd like myself, love BMW, the Chroni(what)cles of Narnia, love coffee (altho you are way off on your cream usage), know your way around the Magic Kingdom like the back of your hand, love epic soundtracks. The list could go on. I love that even when life is hard up and down, you do strive to still follow Jesus.

I hope your 23rd year is better than last. It should be, after all we are planning our super awesome D.C. trip in October!! Plus we have our year to finish out our Disney passes! And you will have a year done with your first nursing job. I am so proud of you for working on that floor, as hard as it is, and doing your very best. You are brave and strong, even when mean doctors yell at you, or rude patients are on the call bell every other second, or coworkers fall through and don't back you up.


And this is how I will always remember us: nerdy and care free in our younger days. I love you, Natalie!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

This made me a little bit teary-eyed (and I KNOW you know exactly how to say that). You write such a sweet note.

Sarah said...

so sweet....