Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Week 4

My accomplishments for the week are as follows:

Monday: I followed a patient into the OR to give the anesthesiologist some lab values I drew. They asked me if I wanted to watch, so my preceptor and I stayed in. They let me go to the head of the bed with the CRNA (nurse anesthesiologist) and look down while they did the intubation. They open the airway with a "blade" (I don't remember the real name), and then put the endotracheal tube in. So, while looking down into the patient's airway, I'm handed the tube and told to put it down in there. Very cool!!!

Tuesday/Wednesday: I successfully put in 6 IV's. All 18's (pretty big IV), except for one being a 16. A 16 is bigger than the 18, and I was pretty surprised to get it in!! Very fun and exciting as well.

Last week I passed my EKG exam and I'm able to go through my Mega Code lecture and be certified for ACLS. That stands for Advanced Cardiac Life Support and is coding patients with defibrillator, intubation, and use of drugs.

Me and Lauren are now going to watch the Office...I love that show!

4 comments:

Megan said...

Yay Nurse Allison! Sounds like you're doing a great job. I too love The Office!

kelly said...

I was going to call you Nurse Allison!! She beat me to it! :)
Sounds like fun!!!

Sarah said...

You get to use a defibrillator? That's pretty nifty. I love hearing of your new adventures.

Pamela said...

Allison I am having a fabulous time catching up on your blog :) So glad you are loving The Office. Are you on season 3 yet? I will have to buy season 4 so you can be all caught up and watch it with me this fall!