Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Today was a crazy day!!! CRAZY!! We started off with 5 nurses, prepping 15 patients for surgery. That's 3 a piece! Had me running in between hallways to do 10 different things at once. If it could happen, it did, like an IV blowing 1 minute before they take my patient to the OR. That was the fastest IV I've ever done!

Even crazier than that was being threatened by a patient that she would punch me if I did not get her IV in the first try. As I was putting in her IV, she proceeded to tell me the entire time I deserved a punch. I told her to be quiet and keep still or I would poke her again. I really didn't want to use lidocaine on her, but being the kind soul I am, I did. Hello, I know IV's suck and they will hurt, but welcome to the hospital. Its not the Ritz Carlton. I was so mad at her, after I stuck her I just walked out and didn't go back in.

Then I was put on postop, crazy over there. I stayed an extra hour to chart on my patients. At least I have a good memory.

I go back one more day tomorrow...

4 comments:

Natalie said...

FUN STUFF. I think it would be funny if she had really punched you- then you would have a good story to tell for a long time. But seriously, that would be some pressure. I'd probably have gotten someone else to do it. I hope today will be easier for you!

Anonymous said...

That's [not] funny. She threatened to punch you? I can't even imagine that scene.

Sarah said...

Oh, boy. What an adventure!

Pamela said...

Well I'm glad you didn't mess up that IV! What a psycho lady!
How was postop? Isn't that where you want to end up?