It is a risk I take every day, although I do my best to keep myself and patients safe. Talking with the other nurses working that day (I love our weekend staff!!), they all have stuck themselves one time or another. Although I felt rather stupid for sticking myself, it was reassuring. It is still a little scary to think about, though I believe I will be ok. I think my roommates were more concerned about me than I was, and frankly they were scaring me a little bit more than I was on my own.
I also felt like Meredith on The Office. When Michael breaks her pelvis by hitting her with his car, he in turn "saves" her life after the doctor finds out she needs the rabies vaccine from some previous animal bites. Along with getting my tests run, I got my tetanus booster that was almost due, thereby "saving" my life. Or at least another trip to the doctor.
I think to myself, only me...

6 comments:
Our director of nursing works with HIV patients and said she has been stuck six separate times by HIV patients in 20 years, and never come up positive. She said that with an SQ it's not as easy to transmit it, though not impossible either. So rest assured. I'm sure you are fine, though I make no guarantees and am praying. I'm sure you are FINE!
Allison!!! Yikes!!! You know I was freaked out for you as I read this!!! I will pray all is well, too. And for peace of mind and trust in God. I know I would need prayers for that in the same situation.
Kelly
I am sure it is all ok. I will be praying. Sorry I couldn't talk when you called yesterday. I was on the slopes literally getting on the ski lift :) We will talk this week though. I have to ask you about something.
Eeeek, Allison!
Crazy! I never really thought about that happening. Sorry I didn't pick up on Saturday - my mom was in town. Will call you soon.
Awww, I know what that's like (sort of). I've been on the concerned spouse side of an ordeal like that. Ben got blood from a Hep C patient in his eye while starting an IV. It was really frightening, but everything turned out fine. I'll be praying for you, keep us posted!
Post a Comment