Saturday, November 7, 2009

Observation Day

Yesterday was my full on observation day of the ICU. I followed the nurse, trying to understand why she was doing what, what she was doing, what was going on with the patient, what are we doing next. I was losing track of time, losing track of where we were. It is crazy business in there!! I went home last night and had to look up many a thing that had slipped my mind since nursing school. When did my brain go to mush? I know, if you don't use it, you lose it. And I have. What a challenging next 2 months this will be!! What a challenging next year and more! I get very disappointed when I am behind, slow, not up to par as I should. But on my first day, I know I will not have the assessment skills, interventional and critical thinking as my preceptor who has been there 1.5 years.

Lots of prayer, clinging to Jesus, and studying will help me through it! What am I thinking?

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I told my preceptor the other day that I feel like a failure on the days where I get behind, forget things, or don't know everything. She told me that nobody expects you to know everything right away, that you learn from the hard experiences, the mistakes, and to think of everything (good or bad) as a learning experience. And then move on. Don't focus on your shortcomings but think about how much you do know- and take what you don't know as a dare to be better. Because you can and you will be.

Sarah said...

Whew. Sorry all is so crazy. Give yourself room to be human... I know you are doing a great job!