Thursday, February 11, 2010

Musical Confessions

Recently I have been drawn to the music of my childhood.


Michael Card: The moment I hear his voice I feel like I'm a little 6 year old girl dancing around the kitchen with my Dad. His music is the soundtrack of my early years. My Dad was a Michael Card fan and I can remember from my earliest years his music playing at our house. I love his original songs and hymns he sings. The orchestral music with the Irish mixed in is very comforting to me and brings back many memories.


Promise Keepers: Again, musical choice of my Dad. I remember my Dad coming home from his first Promise Keepers conference in Washington D.C. He bought a CD, one of the first CD's in our house. I remember listening to it on our computer when I would play Chip's Challenge or Keene 4. And tidbit here: my first CD all my own was Amy Grant Home For Christmas. That CD takes me back to 1996 and cherished memories of old Christmases at my grandparents.


Maranatha Singers: I love Maranatha!! Again, listened to them as a child. Remember my parents singing their music throughout the day or putting it on at night when we would do dishes and clean up after dinner.


Michael W. Smith: Oh man…I remember the time when his music was too "pop" sounding for my mom. She didn't allow us to listen to him a whole year after someone gave my sister his tape for her birthday. Now we have MWS albums coming out the whazoo.


Steven Curtis Chapman: Remember the mullet CD, For the Sake of the Call?? We have it, it is awesome. Heaven in the Real World? Signs of Life? All remind me of good old days I spent as a jr. high student at Camp Kulaqua.


Ah, walk down memory lane. I downloaded Promise Keepers and Michael Card yesterday. And I have old MSW and Steven Curtis Chapman on my iTunes that I pull out. All bring back good memories of my childhood. I don't have children, but I hope when I do they will have great memories of their childhood soundtracks. And I hope it will be the kind of music I remember, ok well not exactly but sort of. More along the lines of Andrew Peterson perhaps.

No comments: