Friday, September 26, 2008

This week was one of the more stressful weeks for me. I was yelled at by two jerk (my G rated version) doctors for some rather illegit reasons. The second doctor mentioned some sexual reference to himself, which was totally inappropriate for the setting and had nothing to do with what he was talking about. He is a jerk, a pig, male chauvinist. Needless to say, he was written up for his comments by 3 of us nurses who were present at the time.

Who gives these doctors the right to be jerks? They think they are God's gift to medicine and surgery. Not that I want to be a jerk back, but I'm praying for courage to stand up and dish it back to them, because there is no reason I need to be treated like that whether I'm a young lady or a young nurse. It made this week a bit of a hell for me, because it led to self doubt in myself and my choice of profession. Leading to questions of if I'm in the right area, right profession, doing what I'm supposed to be doing with my life. Is there something more or better that God is directing me to do. Don't know. Just when you think you'll be content with something (and I know better than that!!), you're not.

Good opening for The Office. I love this show!

7 comments:

Natalie said...

For some reason some people are empowered when they can belittle and insult other people around them. It makes them feel better than you, I don't know. And doctors seem to possess this trait in large numbers.

Don't doubt yourself! Allison, you are so smart and brilliant and you are already a better and smarter nurse than I will ever be.

Sarah said...

Sounds like a rough week...
I'm sorry that it's been so overwhelming. Wish you were here b/c I am watching I'm gonna watch "Newsies" with my one of my new roomies. Keep on carryin the banner in those hospital halls.Love you.

pannedreview said...

Allison, I hope things get better regarding the jerky doctors. It's sad that people enter the healing profession to boost their own egos rather than to help others, like you (and so many in the field).

Just remember to turn the other cheek, and when they aren't looking, spit in their coffee. A little extra sugar!


Jacob

Christi Provost said...

Hey! Glad I found you too.

kelly said...

I need to hear this story in person. I will have righteous anger for you :)

Yes, you made the right decision. And, yes, good opening for the Office.
"Math is hard" -Holly

Natalie said...

Well I'm glad! But I only did mine all tonight, so I'm guilty of being a huge procrastinator. Those were just some things I have NEVER thought about before, even though I have heard the story a million and one times. And merely my own flawed commentary.

Li said...

Sorry about your week. :o(

Though I can't sympathize with your specific situation, I would agree with you on your second paragraph, from a patient perspective. It's these doctors who think they know everything and, as you said, 'think they are God's gift to medicine and surgery'. I don't have to deal with anything like you do, but I get ridiculously frustrated when they won't take me seriously or even listen to what I say...

I really hope your week gets better. And I hope some change comes from you three reporting him. That's absolutely unacceptable.