Sunday, November 16, 2008

This week has been a little crazy as I prepared for my Pediatric Advanced Life Support class. I worked 4 days in a row, studying every night. I took the class all day yesterday and today, so I missed church and my usual weekend. But it was good, not as bad as I thought. I was stressed, as usual, for nothing!!

So now I work another 3 days in a row before I get a day off. On top of that I am receiving new training to do conscious sedation. We are going to take people getting dislocated joints put back together, as well as some facial/plastics type procedures such as stiches. So now I have to learn a whole new set of narcotics and sedatives for the procedures. Speaking of career advancement, I was asked about doing pediatric post anesthesia recovery in 2 years when our new children's hospital opens. They will have their own pediatric pre-op and post-op unit. Something to consider for future, but for now I'm looking towards critical care for a year.

In addition to that, I have picked up an extra job once a week. Housecleaning!! You ask, why would a full time RN be working part time jobs?? The only reason: reduce and get rid of my debt!! This is a girl who wants to live debt free. By January 2010, I plan on having zero debt. In addition to that I picked up overtime with my class this weekend, as well as babysitting. All towards debt, tho a little may go towards Christmas gifts (which is looking like a meager Christmas).

Another week to work. What will I do this week?

4 comments:

Natalie said...

I really don't think I could do critical care. All the tubes and wires and whatnot kinda scare me. I think I would trip over them and hurt a patient... I'm so clumsy. I know you take lots of special classes to learn about it, and I have only had one lecture on it, but seriously... I don't know if I could do it. Although some of the nurses only had one patient which amazed me. PS you always get too stressed over nothing. But it's what makes you a good nurse.

Pamela said...

Dave Ramsey would be so proud of you...now me on the other hand...

Sarah said...

Glad the class went well... your dedication and excellence are touching people's lives. Hang in there.

Kudos on the debt-elimation plan.
Thanksgiving is coming... can't wait to see you.

Danielle said...

I was going to do the Disney Princess Marathon in March, but its the day after my sisters wedding, so I didn't think I'd get a good nights sleep and be able to prepare well. So now I'm doing one with my mom sometime in February, the A1A marathon, its in Ft. Lauderdale. I'm only doing the half...(if I make it that far without collapsing first!)