Monday, January 11, 2010

With some amount of relief, mixed with disappointment and failure, I write this post. Today I had a meeting with my nurse manager, unit educator, CCNIP coordinator, my preceptor, and another educator. When I saw how many people were in on this meeting I knew something was up. I was expecting it. I am being moved to a different unit for 6 months to a year. Then I can come back to ICU. Overall, I think this will be very good for me for growth and learning as a nurse. It is a relief to know that I will not have to come in and struggle so much. Still I feel like a failure. I appreciate that the nurse manager told me I could come back and they would have a place for me.

So after working for 2 hours, I find out I can no longer work there and have to go home. That sucked. I cried a little, not in front of the managers at the meeting, but right before I went home. I was a little irked why they would have the meeting right then, but would it have been better at the end of the day? I don't know.

For now I am not sure where I will be working. A PCU or progressive care unit, which is a step down from ICU. I am told there have been 3 nurses who went and came back and were very successful afterwards. Hopefully I will be placed and start next week. Its frustrating that I have to adjust to new nurses, new staff, new doctors, new unit. I was just feeling like I was getting the unit and the nurses there.

I sort of feel like I got the axe. But I am glad for a "redeeming" opportunity.

But, here's to going to Disney with my sister tomorrow! Hooray! I am looking forward to that!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

you can do it allison!

Pamela said...

Allison, I'm sorry that happened to you :( I know you are a wonderful nurse and you will be great no matter where you are. I'm glad you'll get to go back to ICU soonish though. Let's talk soon.